The bar originally opened illegally in the 1920’s as a “to-go” shop, filling buckets of beer for take-out, and became Chappy’s in the 40’s. In the 1960’s, it took on the name Wilson’s 10:30, for the starting time of the nightly craps games held in the basement, as evidenced by the craps table unearthed during renovations. Although it was named Spring Lounge in the 70’s, it has been known throughout the neighborhood as the Shark Bar, due to the large stuffed sharks that are prominently displayed.